Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Grandma's Box o' Yarn from the 70's

Yesterday, I wrote a blog post about my first attempt in learning to crochet. I thought today would be a great chance for me to tell you all about my attempts to learn to knit, because there were more than one.

It was in 2010 when I first wanted to learn to knit. I was at the local Ben Franklin (when it was still in business), and chose some neon variegated Red Heart Super Saver and some Boye metal straight needles in size 8 US. I was with my mom’s friend at the time in the local garden of my town. We had also gotten a pamphlet to teach us the basics in knitting.

I remember reading the pamphlet, and it told me how I had to wrap the yarn around my hand. It told me to weave the yarn up and down my fingers for tension. When I did it, it was so tight in my hands, that didn’t feel comfortable. I finally figured out that I can just wrap it once around my index finger, and it would be totally fine (which is how I still tension my yarn). After the wrapping of the yarn, it told us that because I crochet, I should learn continental knitting. Which, is wrapping the yarn in my left hand instead of the right.

Next, it was casting on. I struggled with the first couple stitches, but after that, I got the hang of it. I remember casting on a ridiculous amount of stitches. It was so many that it was all scrunched up on the straight needle. I then began to learn the knit stitch.

While trying to learn how to knit, I had a very hard time holding the yarn and needles at the same time. So, what I managed to do, was plop the left-hand knitting needle in between my legs, while I used the right needle to knit off. It was much easier for me at the time.

I had gotten about two rows finished before we packed up and left to go home. I remember taking it into the car, and knitting some more on the way home. Once I got home, I sat in front to the TV and knitted more on my knitting. I got pretty far, about 6” that night. I met up with the family friend again later that week, and she didn’t knit as much as I had.

There was one problem, though. My knitting had developed a lot of holes, and were laddering down rows. I was so frustrated that I put my knitting away for around a year or so. I didn’t think about knitting until summer of 2011.

I was on vacation in Missoula, Montana spending time with my dad. I remember we were at my grandma’s house cleaning, when my grandma found a box of yarn and needles from the 70’s, There were 2 skeins I remember clearly, one was florescent orange, and the other was florescent green. The needles were plastic straight needles that were so warped.

I found some youtube videos about learning to knit, and they had led me to the wonderful website of Ravelry. I promptly joined. After seeing all the lovely knitted projects on ravelry, I was so determined to knit and knit well so I can also knit some of those projects.

It was my all-time goal from then on to learn how to knit socks, for me and my family. A plan that I succeeded at! I love to knit socks, now and have knit a lot of them. I am currently in the process of knitting on socks for me mom. She loves handknit socks, and wears them a lot in the winter time.

Now it was time to start knitting again.

I started to knit a washcloth with the white acrylic yarn that was in the box. I had no idea you weren’t supposed to use acrylic for washcloths. I soon made a trip to Walmart to get some proper dishcloth cotton. I made around 5 washcloths before I left back home from vacation. I was so proud of myself. I know of only one of those washcloths that are still around today. My mom has it up in her cupboard.

After those 5 washcloths, I just kept knitting on anything and everything (except for sweaters…). I remember in 8th grade I knit my first socks, they were baby socks for my teacher who was expecting a baby boy. They were green variegated, and were two totally different sizes due to change of gauge, but whatever. My teacher was so impressed, and was a very nice recipient to those first baby socks.

It only took me two times to really get into knitting, but once I did, I fell hard. I now knit mostly every day. It is what keeps me sane during rough and stressful times in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment